A traineeship is a work based skills development programme that includes a work placement.
The full programme can last from 6 weeks up to 1 year, though most traineeships last for between 6-weeks and 12-weeks.
Your business needs to be able to offer a safe, meaningful and high-quality work experience placement of at least 70 hours to 240 hours.
You will work with a training provider to design what is included in the programme.
Trainees can gain English, maths, digital and work-related qualifications which can lead them on to:
- an apprenticeship
- further education
1 minute video
Free government scheme but you may have your own business costs.
Some employers may choose to pay the wages and any payments for expenses such as travel and living costs.
Employers need to provide:
- a safe, meaningful and high-quality work experience placement
- a minimum of 70 hours of work experience placement over the duration of the traineeship (if the trainee claims benefits, the placement cannot last longer than 240 hours)
- constructive feedback and advice to the trainee
- an interview for an apprenticeship or job in their organisation at the end of the traineeship if one is available
- an exit interview at the end of the traineeship with meaningful written feedback if no job is available
Benefits of Traineeships
Traineeships can benefit your business by:
- providing a stepping-stone for your future apprentices
- allowing you to test out a new position in your business without committing to full time hires
- helping your business attract a new generation of talent
- offering financial incentives of up to £1,000 per trainee
Find out how other businesses are using traineeships:
Louise England, General Manager for Specsavers in Hemel and London Colney
30 second video
Michael Johnson, Regional Apprenticeship Manager for Persimmon Homes
30 second video
Offer a traineeship
Get started with offering a traineeship:
Contact the DfE apprenticeship and skills hotline
Alternatively, call 08000 150 600
- T Levels: industry placements
- Sector-based Work Academy Programme (SWAP)
- Skills Bootcamps
- Supported Internships for learners with an education, health and care plan
- Care-Leaver covenant
- Employing prisoners and prison leavers
- Free courses and additional training for your employees