T Levels: industry placements
T Levels are a new qualification for students aged 16 to 19 in England who have finished their GCSEs.
Each T Level is equivalent to 3 A levels and helps young people develop the knowledge, attitude and practical skills to thrive in the workplace.
T Level students spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the essential skills that your employees need. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement, where they put these skills into action.
One minute video
T Level industry placements are a free government scheme - you don't need to pay to take on a T Level student for a placement.
There may be certain business costs, like time invested in planning, training and supervising, and you can choose to pay the student if you wish.
Employers need to provide:
- a safe work environment
- opportunities for the student to develop their technical skills within your industry
- a line manager to support, supervise and mentor the student
- an induction which includes explaining relevant policies and procedures
- formal feedback on the student’s progress against the agreed learning goals at the end of the placement
Benefits of T Levels: industry placements
T Levels can support employers by offering early access to a talent pipeline for entry-level positions, can help with recruitment, improve innovation and increase an organisation’s productivity.
By September 2023, there will be more than 20 T Level courses, covering 11 skill areas.
Within each course, students develop an understanding of a broad range of issues relevant to the sector, as well as topics specific to the course and an occupational specialism.
This scheme can lead to an Accelerated Apprenticeship, which could offer benefits to both the apprentice and the employer.
Apprentices who have some prior knowledge or skills before starting their apprenticeship can have this recognised as prior learning.
This means the apprentice should be able to complete their programme quicker, as training they are already experienced in, can be removed from their training plan, and doesn’t need to be repeated.
This allows employees to complete the scheme in less time and cost to the employer.
Those likely to be able to accelerate their apprenticeships include existing employees using apprenticeships to upskill into more senior roles, and those who have completed another related qualification, for example a T-Level or Skills Bootcamp.
Find out how other businesses are using T Level industry placements:
Infinity 27, gaming and immersive experiences
30 second video
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
30 second video
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust have committed to T Levels and are hosting industry placements for 17 students from Bedford College, incorporating both clinical and non-clinical roles within the organisation.
This includes hosting T Level students in numerous wards, areas and departments in the Trust, so that students can gain experience of health and science careers such as nursing, midwifery, pharmacology, sterile services and many of the allied health professions.
The Trust recognise that hosting industry placements better prepares students for further study and to work within healthcare in the future – with some students progressing onto employment within the Trust, through apprenticeships and other routes.
Stacy Sherwood, Practice Educator said:
"We want to support local students to gain the skills, knowledge and experience they will need to progress in their chosen field; whilst also opening their eyes to the possibilities the Trust has to offer them after gaining their T Level qualification, including apprenticeships in a range of different areas.
We are also keen to provide students with an extensive induction to the health sector and to introduce them slowly into clinical practice, to make sure the pathway a student is heading towards is the best fit for them.
"The Trust’s Talent for Care team is delighted to welcome T Level students and is excited at the prospect of working with them in support of activities aimed at developing a future supply chain of healthcare apprenticeships."
Offer an industry placement
Get more information about T Levels and industry placements, or connect with a local school or college that will support you.
- T Levels: industry placements
- Sector-based Work Academy Programme (SWAP)
- Skills Bootcamps
- Supported Internships for learners with an education, health and care plan
- Care-Leaver covenant
- Employing prisoners and prison leavers
- Free courses and additional training for your employees